Music In The 90s & How It Influenced My Blogging

I remember a period in my previous working life in local media, when I stepped out of the comfort zone in "design and art direction", and dipped my feet into a more "editorial" aspect of media, specifically "programming" for the 4 weekly shows on television the company I was a part of, where contracted to do for the then sole television broadcaster at that time.

I was involved in the aspect of "editorializing" (for lack of a better "official" working term) the content(s) of the shows we were working on - which would entail coming up with and deciding WHAT went into the musical programs, what songs / music videos to play, in what context to play them in, and how to present them sometimes - be it via "live-action" host(s), or voice-overs/voice-talents.

And while said role was not necessarily a creditable gig for TV - I was hardly the "producer" as I'd not work in the trenches as producers wont to be, nor was I an "executive producer", because well, I wasn't! In fact, I cannot remember now what my credit was then LOL

That period of time is tied specifically to the music videos of the 90s - with most of these songs etched into my mindscape over incessant hours of dubbing / transferring MVs at a partnered post production house LOL

Remember having their cassettes?! Like SAYS for more local fun stuff like this! :D https://www.facebook.com/saysdotcom

Posted by SAYS on Friday, March 11, 2016

And while "professionally", it might not have led me anywhere far(ish), it provided me a on-the-job education on what was needed to do weekly television shows, which led to working on subsequent jobs for the company, understanding the necessities and requirements for which I could provide a more "creative" presentation and packaging for (which ironically, the job-scope for which does not entail a specific credit for in TV lol).

While design and art direction had been ingrained in my DNA through the years, this short period of working as such, provided me with a decent notion of "job satisfaction" I had not necessarily acknowledged publicly before this blogpost … perhaps since I had not studied nor worked specifically for said job-scope, that I did not, and could not feel any pressure to perform nor excel in (as I oft seen in the producers I've worked with, IMHO).

In fact, in a strictly self-serving capacity, I am grateful for the opportunities, and will always remain so.


On a personal front though, I had only realized this just earlier last week (while listening to Vengaboys OMG) that what I had done and gone through at "work" then, had helped informed within me a sense of editorialization and presentation (of newsery and information), which eventually led to in how I structure and present the TOYSREVIL blog.

And while I am unsure if folks read or recognize it, there is a certain attempt in trying to provide as well-rounding a reading experience as possibly can. Those were the days when news flooded my inbox, of course … these days, folks' "information-dissemination" habit(s) have altered drastically, and ironically I am back to sifting thru the www for content, although not necessarily JUST for toys alone. … and there's only so much I can sieve thru with an eye-patch on hahahaha

Simply put, I'd more likely put up and share stuff I'd like to read for myself, actually. Above most of the info that reaches my inbox, of course. And that more than replaces what I am missing out, as far as I'm concerned, anyways LOL


I will make no apologies for the dearth of Vengaboy MVs featured here, for as kitschy as they look now (likened to "Modern Talking" in the 80s hahahaha), the period in which they existed provided a more "entertaining" aspect to visual aesthetics (versus the art/experimentation of the 80s and the emo-angst post-2000s), where "fun" mattered as much as pop star idol-try.

While in my heart, I am always an 80s' music fan, the sounds of Spice Girls, SClub7, Boyzone, Backstreet Boys, Savage Garden of boy bands and girl bands etc, fueled my 90s and remain memorable to a fault, and I am fine with that :)

Now, they have become a source for enjoyment, and sometimes a little jaunt down memory lane, like you would in a 90s music video.

Cheers,
Andy


Disclaimer: One can argue the "terms" and job-scope I had used here in this post, but that's not my aim to claim credit in anyway, and neither am I looking to work my way back into this, so your own "work credit" is safe! HAH!

Comments